In the crazy news cycle of primaries and pandemics, it’s important to remember that Census 2020 officially kicks off this Thursday, March 12th. Invitations to complete the census will go out March 12-20. We dug into all of the important details about the census in our article last week. This week, City of Champaign, City of Urbana, University YMCA, Champaign-Urbana Public Health District, Champaign County Regional Planning Commission, the Refugee Center, CU Immigration Forum, and Dharitree Ecosphere are sponsoring a kickoff event at the Urbana Neighborhood Connections Center at 2 p.m. on March 12th. It’s free and open to the public, and there will be speakers, activities, and refreshments.
Here is the timeline for census:
- March 12-20, 2020: Initial invitations to respond online and by phone will be delivered by the U.S. Postal Service.
- March 16-24: Reminder letters will be delivered.
- March 26-April 3: Reminder postcards will be delivered to households that have not responded.
- April 8-16: Reminder letters and paper questionnaires will be delivered to households that have not yet responded.
- April 20-27: Final reminder postcards will be delivered to households that have not yet responded before census takers follow up in person.
You can find all kinds of information about the census in Central Illinois here.
Image from City of Urbana Facebook page.