Smile Politely

City of Urbana is making more space for outdoor retails sales

Mayor Diane Marlin issued an emergency order that would allow retail sales and services to happen outside on city sidewalks, and in private parking lots. Here are the details:

  • Businesses will need to apply for a permit that is required for temporary use of public sidewalks.
  • Go to: for information and instructions on how to create a CitizenServe account.
  • Additionally, tents on private property may require a permit.
  • Go here to see the specifications for tents.
  • The necessary permits are listed on CitizenServe.
  • Please contact or (217) 384-2430 with permit questions.

Photo from City of Urbana Facebook page.

Staff writer

Related Articles