The Preservation and Conservaton Association of Champaign County donated five acres of land to the Champaign County Forest Preserve District, which will expand Heron View Forest Preserve. The land contains the Hazen Bridge, which was built in 1893 and is one of only two truss bridges in Champaign County. From the press release:
PACA acquired the historic Hazen Bridge in 1991 after a new bridge over the Sangamon River was built lining up with County Road 2600 North. The bridge was donated to PACA by the Newcomb Township Road Commission and the 5 acre parcel of land that it sits on was donated by Jack Richmond.
Top photo provided by Champaign County Forest Preserve District.