Smile Politely

SPews: April 30, 2010

Bike path survey leads to historic treasure,” Daily Illini, April 29

A mid-19th century cabin’s trapdoor cellar is not a common find on a bike path.

But that’s what the Illinois State Archaeological Survey at the University, or ISAS, found after conducting a standard protocol survey of a proposed area for Urbana bike path.

School Lottery results are in,” A citizen’s blog about Champaign Unit 4, April 24

Most, if not all, 2010-2011 Kindergarten Assignments were mailed out and received today. Along with that, I also have the first response from my Lottery FOIA with Unit 4; I originally asked for the entire spreadsheet, but they only gave me a summary. Hopefully more information is forthcoming.

Of the 710 Kindergarten school assignments, the FIC recieved 691 during the March registration process. Of those 691, 78.3% received their first choice, 92% received at least one of their choices. I have to assume that the remaining 8% (55) are on a waiting list. Last year several were unassigned with NO waiting list, which seems just wrong.


Cell phone picture on Facebook leads to arrest warrant,” News-Gazette, April 29

CHAMPAIGN – A robbery suspect who took his picture on a stolen cell phone that ended up on Facebook has been identified.

Champaign police detective Don Shepard said he obtained a warrant Tuesday charging Korey Woodard, 21, of Chicago, with robbery.

Sound familiar?


Ill. commission accepts $4.75M Ameren rate hike,” Pantagraph, April 29

The Illinois Commerce Commission has approved a $4.75 million rate hike for Ameren Illinois, rejecting the utility’s proposed $162 million proposal.

The commission says the decision limits cost increases for Illinois families and businesses while still allowing for reliable service. A spokesman says the commission’s decision required careful analysis.


Related Articles