This Thursday night (Dec. 9) at 6 p.m. will be the last opportunity for anyone to purchase the late Daniel Schrieber’s Flatlander Chocolate. The Flatlander Fund, an organization working to open a community kitchen in Champaign-Urbana, is hosting an auction from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Highdive. Schreiber was the local bean-to-bar chocolate maker who was in the beginning stages of developing a community kitchen when he passed away this summer. We’ve written extensively about Schreiber and the Flatlander Fund events in previous articles here, here, here and here.
This auction will be the last chance for anyone to get their hands on the incomparable chocolate, as the entire remaining inventory will be sold and/or given out. This includes three complete packages of Flatlander Chocolate. In addition, there will be a large number of other locally-focused items up for auction, including:
- twelve months of fresh bread and locally‐made meats
- a farmers’ market dinner for two, with wine, from Bacaro
- a Dinner In My Back Yard (DIMBY) dinner for twelve
- a bicycle, donated by The Bike Project of Urbana‐Champaign
- a private dinner on the farm for up to six, from Prairie Fruits Farm
- many more items donated by local restaurants, entertainment venues and artists.
Last Friday, Smile Politely Radio interviewed Flatlander representatives Laura Huth, Kristen Tennant and Jason Berg about Schreiber, the community kitchen and the auction.
You can listen to the full interview — and the entire episode — here. (to download, right click and select “save as”)
In addition to the Flatlander Fund interview, this episode of SP Radio includes:
- the debut of Jeff Kohmstedt’s regular running segment. This time he discusses getting prepared for winter running.
- a poem written and read by William Gillespie about Daniel Schreiber. This is a podcast bonus that was not featured in the original broadcast.
Smile Politely Radio is always accepting help from the community at large. If you have comments, suggestions, criticisms or would like to become a contributor, please contact us at email@example.com.